Atlanta Songwriters Club presents Music Theory 101. Hosted by Will Mitchell, this session will be covering the basics of music theory — so if you have never taken a theory class, this is the one for you!
Doors @ 7:30 PM
Here it is, our first Music Theory for Songwriters Class happening on Tuesday, October 28th.
Like usual, we will start at 8PM and it will cost $3 at the door. I expect the class to last about 2 hours and I'll stick around for another hour to answer specific questions.
I will be covering the basics of music theory, so if you have never taken a theory class - this is the one for you.
Here's a glimpse of what I will be covering :
- What are notes and how do they work in music?
- What are sharps and flats?
- What is a musical "scale"?
- How to build a major scale using a simple formula.
- What are chords?
- The chords related to a major scale.
- What is a major chord? What is a minor chord?
- Assigning numbers to chords.
- The chords available to you for diatonic songwriting.
I will be teaching the class as it relates to guitar and piano. If you have a guitar, bring it along so you can play the scales and chords. If you have a relatively small keyboard, you can bring that as well. Also, a phone or tablet with a piano app will work for our basic purposes. I'll encourage people to share as well. Please bring paper and a writing utensil to take notes with.
I'll be moving nice and slow so everyone will be on the same page.